Thursday 18 January 2007

Give us this day our Katamari t shirts



Katamari Damacy is one of my favourite video games of all time. You roll a ball around, and, as stuff sticks to it, it gets bigger. And so you can pick up bigger stuff. You start off picking up tacks, safety pins, and matches, through cans of drink, pizzas, animals, people, cars, houses, up to Godzilla, and finally, entire countries.

But what makes it one of the best games ever isn't just the plot. It's the surrounding hoo-hah, the showtune-soundtracked, Busby Berkeley-style technicolor opening film. The soundtrack, that fuses perky J-pop with the screams and shouts of entire continents as they get rolled up, ready to be flung into the cosmos. And the curious cast of colourful characters with very odd-shaped heads. Anyway, it's great, and you really should buy it.

When I first bought the game, last year, I loved it so much, and I wanted to show my love to the world. I almost cried when I first saw these wonderful t shirts from the game's creator, Keita Takahashi,in a collaboration with illustrator Ryo Kimura.




But then my hopes were cruelly dashed, as I found out they were unavailable to UK Katamari high rollers. But this week I checked back... and they're now shipping to Europe. Sing hosannas! I may order seven and wear one every day of the week. After all, we should all be taking advantage of those crazy good exchange rates. They're $24.95 plus shipping.

Buy them here

No comments: